Monday, September 24, 2012

Blaufrankisch

That's right, today's post is about all things Austrian wine.  I joined Schmidt Vinothek and the HK Sommelier Association for a 100% Austrian tasting. 

Had I arrived on time, I would have been able to blind taste all of the 9 Austrian selections.  Instead, I got to try 3 of the Gruner Veltliners, all of which were amazing, and totally different from one another. Participants were expected to taste and judge the wines, and the results were unveiled as I slid in.


Patrick, the Senior Marketing Executive, lead the unveiling and was super informative about each of the nine wines.  There were sweet whites, dry whites, sparklers, and even a red.  Afterword he told me even more about Austrian wines, and their neighboring wine countries German and Hungary.  

The most planted grape is Gruner Veltliner which can range from light, crisp and dry, to a fuller bodied, higher alcohol, viscous delight!  This is a grape that is especially versatile in terms of food pairing; especially with Asian cuisine.  The bright acidity is perfect for smoked salmon, spicy Thai or Vietnamese dishes, as well as bitter greens, sauteed vegetables, and salads.  A great pairing that sounds just heavenly to me was is chilled glass of GL with a BLT; hearty bacon and extra mayo.  Perfect!

There are also various red grapes, the most popular being Blaufrankisch (aka Lemberger or Kekfrankos in Hungary).  Although I missed this red last night, I heard it was quite popular.  Blaufrankisch is generally high in tannin and exhibits strong spicy notes.  This is the perfect accompaniment to sausauges, hamburgers, and even Feta cheese. 




According to Patrick, and the  GVs I tried, Austria is pumping out some superb wines.  Now to get the Asian market to embrace these food friendly vinos.....

No comments:

Post a Comment