Wednesday, March 28, 2012

American Club

Yesterday found the HOFWs at the American Club's Spring Bazaar.  We were busy all day handing out samples of foie gras, truffles, and of course, wines!  Having never been to the club (invite only whatever) I was quite impressed with the digs.  It's right on the water with what look to be all new facilities; tennis courts, restaurants, meeting spaces, and a ballroom.  Way to go America!  It was a long day of standing, so in order to find respite I took it upon myself to start writing tasting notes for all of our wines.  An now, one wine at a time, I would like to share my results.   This is primarily a learning exercise for me to hone my taste buds, but if you learn something too, hey great.

See our samples!?
Where to begin?  Well, why don't we all start with a new one for us all.  Yesterday was the first time I tried our Val D'Oca Punta Rosa Prosecco*.  I think most of us out there are afraid of roses.  To be fair they have been making it bit by bit into the mainstream (in America at least) in recent years.  But the White Zin recollections from years past make us all a little hesitant to trust anything pink, no?


Well let me share with you this; PINK is in!  This dry (and I stress dry) rose Prosecco is even better than it's paler brother.  Not only do you get the crisp yeasty bubbles you get with most dry Proseccos, but there's also a hint of berry.  I'd be willing to bet on hints of both straw and rasp. 

Accoring to the company's website:

'A blush sparkling Pinot Noir and Pinot Grigio from Marca Trevigiana with an enticing pink colour and a floral bouquet carefully preserved through soft pressing at controlled temperature.'



I can't tell you much about the soft pressing or temperature, but I can tell you it would be the perfect accompiment to strawberries with marshmellow dip.  Or chocolate.  Or bathtime.  Or breakfast.  Too far?










*Prosecco is sparkling wine from Veneto (usually), Italy.   It's Italy's answer to France's Champagne and Spain's Cava, and according to Wikipedia, is the main ingredient in a Bellini.  Who knew there was a distinction between sparklers for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment