Tuesday, February 5, 2013

California Vintage

Do you ever go to an event and walk out inspired?  Every time I walk out of an HK Social or Startups HK meetup feel motivated, energized, and wow-ed by the talent in Hong Kong.

Sorry, it was dark!
Last night Startups HK and California Vintage hosted a fantastic evening of wine, entrepreneurs, and food (if you could get your hands on it!), in honor of Chinese New Year.

California Vintage's new venue is spectacular.  State of the art, modern, and spot on Cali.  If you need a spot to host a lot of people, a little birdie told me that you can rent out part of the restaurant for the entire evening.  Food and wine choices are available, but not required. 

The elite start up founders were in attendance with everything from designers to writers to investors to app builders to teachers to idealists, and many many more.  I would guess that there were well over a hundred people there to mingle with new and old friends and to build personal networks and connections.
Help yourself line-up.  Approve!
But what did we drink you ask!?  In typical California Vintage fashion, we drank some phenomenal California wines.  And they were a free flowing for 2 hours, and as such, I was lucky enough to try them all!

1.  Vino Valpredo Bianca Mia 2010. Fritz Winery, Somona County, CA.
Blend of Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc
This was the perfect beginning to the evening.  Since the food was gobbled up the second it left the kitchen door (I did manage a half of a fried seafood slider that was tangy and rich), a heavily acidic wine was not in order.  This wine was great on its own.  It had nice body, yet wasn't too rich. Up front fruit, but not juicy.  Just how I like my whites.  Is it just me, or is anyone else kind of over Sauv Blancs?

2.  Rose.  Due to the darkness in the room, my photos didn't turn out, and unfortunatley I didn't take any notes.  When you're elbow to elbow with some of the top HK up and comers you don't want to start dorking it out taking notes on what's in your glass.  Know what I mean?  But I do remember I wasn't too keen on this.  It was strong on the acid and lacked some fruit.  Had I been blindfolded a) that would have been a different kind of party, and b) I would have 100% said this was a white wine.  Can anyone who was in attendance last night enlighten me to the make of this rose??

3.  R&B Cellars 'Swingsville' Zindandel 2007. Lodi, CA.  Mostly Zin with 9% Petite Verdot blended in, this is the perfect wine to drink alone.  BIG fruit and BIG flavor, velvety smooth and rich, this is no Bordeaux.  I loved loved loved this wine and would drink it everyday if I could.


I also managed to get my hands on some garlic fries with Thai chili dipping sauce.  That's reason enough to back, because fries be good!  If you haven't been, sign up for a Startups HK event just to be inspired.  Go to California Vintage and get their fries and R&B Zin.   I promise you won't regret it.

Kung Hei Fat Choi!

No comments:

Post a Comment