Thursday, January 24, 2013

Flavor of the Week

Last month we receieved several new wines from Burgundy, the Rhone, Bordeaux, and Champagne, and I've been doing my darndest to taste my way through all of them.  I'm not 100% there, but wanted to update you all on my progress.

Here's what's been in my glass this month:

Apparently I have only been drinking reds, so here it goes....

Roncier- Burgundy.
Young, earthy, with some white pepper and cranberry notes, this is the ultimate value wine.  No need to breathe, just open and enjoy.

Bougogne Haut Cotes du Nuits- Burgundy
100% Pinot Noir
Red berrys at the front, this is definitley a Pinot.  High acid which indicates it would be perfect for dinner.

Cuvee P. de Brignon- Cotes du Rhone Villages
70% Grenache, 30% Syrah
Very dry with tight tannins, this wine should breathe a bit before drinking.  Sour cherry, plum, and slight pepper spice, this would be great for a not so heavy meat dish.

Chateau Haut Veyrac 2008 - Saint Emilion Grand Cru, Bordeaux, France
Loved this!  Of all of the Haut Veyrac vintages we have this is my favorite.  This is probably because it's the least Bordeaux tasting, and had more ripe young flavors that I'm used to.  WSET 4 will train me to like the Old World...

Chateau des Tourtes 2009 Cuvee Prestige- Cotes de Bordeaux
70% Merlot and 30% Cabernet
Very French, and Bordeaux-ish with red cherry, vanilla, and up front attack.  This was alright, but I much prefered.....


Chateau des Tourtes 2009 - Cotes de Bordeaux
70% Merlot 30% cab
I love this wine!! I  am totally smitten, and at it's price point I think it is an absolute bargain!  For sure my favorite of our new ones.  Get your hands on some soon before I drink it all. 
Cooked damon.  Brown spice.  Rich stewed berries.  This is young, bright and vibrant, and perfect on it's own (or with the soul food at Magnolia).



No comments:

Post a Comment