Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Turkey Day Tipples


American or not, Hong Kongers love an excuse to wine and dine. This Thursday its fair game to eat until your pants don't fit, drink until you fall asleep on your plate, and brag (and give thanks) about all of the great things we have in our metropolitan HK lives.
This year I am thankful for a wonderfully fulfilling and boozey career, great friends near and far, and especially for my amazing family all the way across the world.  I am also thankful for, in no particular order, my new space heater, American Apparel leggings, Sunday pig roasts, floss, the Island East Market, 3 vacations in the next 3 months, the recent lack of cockroaches in my apartment, and most recently Pizza Express (had a lovely mushroom pizza today). 

And now to incorporate wine into my appreciation.  How about a Thanks and Wine pairing?  Here it goes:
Some of the HOFWs team

I would pair my career with our Natale Verga Montepulciano.  Subtle and lightly spicy, ideal to keep everyday interesting, but not something I want to bring to a friend's house for a special night.

Korbin and Kameron and family

Friends deserve something fun.  For fun and friends I vote Korbin Kameron Cabenet Sauvignon.  Not only is a Korbin a new friend, and Kameron an old (well in HK terms), but the characteristics of this wine also matches how I would definine my friends.  Rich in character, refined, deep, bold, and never boring, this wine is punchy and food friendly.
One for each of us

Family deserve nothing but the best, so for that I have to go Screaming Eagle.  Ok, so maybe I've never even tried a Screaming Eagle, but I know it's Californian (like my dad!) and delicious (according to the auction prices!).  And that's enough for me.

For two things that heat you in the winter, space heaters with Taylor's Vintage Port.  Any vintage will do.

I pair my fun, fruit colored American Apparel leggings with fun, fruity sparkler, Val D'Oca Uvagio Storico Prosecco. 

Sunday pig roasts have to be paired with Chateau Boutisse 2005 Saint Emilion Grand Cru.  My dear friends Nina and Kenny hosted a wonderful pig roast on the water in Deep Water Bay last weekend, and whenever I ask Kenny what to bring, the answer is always Chateau Boutisse.  Besides the full bodied red fruit works wonderfully with some crispy pork skin.


I don't know about you, but when I've been drinking a lot of red wine everyone can tell.  I will pair a big stick-to-you-teeth Eberle Zinfandel 2006 with floss.





Clearly Organic Sauvignon Blanc is the perfect beverage for the Island East Market.  Not only is it grown organically (in line with the philosophy behind the market), but it's also perfect for drinking out doors in the sun!




3 vacations in 3 months does not, in fact, pair with wines, but with Sake (Japan) and cocktails with little umbrellas (Vietnam, Bali)!



Well I suppose a lack of cockroaches shouldn't really pair with a wine either, but hey, for arguments sake let's say it does.  Since the demise of the little buggers is in my apartment, and I often drink wine in my apartment, I'm going to pair to my recent favorite (and what I drank last night).  Heartland Dolcetto Lagrein. I just love this wine!

And finally, my delicious mushroom and truffley Pizaa Express pizza undoubtadely goes with our Barolo Verga 2007.  The truffles and the wine are from the same region, it's light enough in body to go with the thin crust, and the wine's acidity cuts right through that tomato sauce.  Match made in heaven.


So there you have it.  2012 Wine and Thanks pairings!  What wine are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment